Supplements for treating arthritis in Cats
What is Arthritis in Cats?
Arthritis is a disease which afflicts the bones and joints, it’s a condition where the joints get inflamed and cause a great deal of pain as the cats get older. As in the case of humans, arthritis in pets mostly comes with age, obesity and hereditary conditions like hip dysplasia. Arthritic symptoms in cats are not so evident to cat owners and vets.Cats are very subtle in how they show pain. This reluctance to show pain, injury or vulnerability goes back to their wild ancestry as both predator and prey when any signs of weakness could be a death sentence.
Symptoms of Arthritis in Cats
Mostly cats develop arthritis in hips and elbows but sometimes other joints like lower back and knees get affected.
Signs of arthritis in cats could be
- difficulty in moving
- grooming habits and changes in behavior
Cats are sensitive to changes inweather, so cold& damp days could cause an arthritis flare up. Cats are more likely to reveal their painful or stiff joints in how they approach their usual activities.
Supplements for treatment of Arthritis in Cats
There are many effective Dietary supplements which are available as treats, sprinkles and liquids, and they help toprotect and repair cartilage, improve the quality of joint fluid, effectively lubricating joints and easing pain.
- Important food supplements like animal-based proteins help in the production of cartilage that protects the joints. Cats sometimes have a problem in digesting protein but high quality animal based protein is more easily digested.
- Fish oil is full of omega-3 fatty acids which reduce joint pain and inflammation.
- GLME i.e. Green Lipped Mussel Extract contains a blend of naturally occurring compounds that help in the treatment of arthritis. GLME helps in the growth of new cartilage and repairing damage in joints caused by arthritis. GLME also contains amino acids, minerals and anti-oxidants which help repair and prevent cell damage.
- Turmeric contains curcumin and over two dozen anti-inflammatory compounds which help to reduce pain and relieve stiffness. It is also an antioxidant that prevents cell damage by slowing free radical activity.
- Cayenne acts as a stimulant that brings the healing properties of other herbs to the joints in the body. It contains capsaicin which inhibits pain and inflammation.
- Licorice root contains phytosterol compounds which affects the production of cortisol a steroid which regulates inflammation in the joints.
- Alfalfa reduces swelling, inflammation in the joints and regulates acidity in the body. It is full of proteins, vitamins and minerals that promote bone health.
- Vitamin-C boosts the immune system and promotes collagen a connective tissue whichis an important part of the cartilage, it also prevents clotting, bruising, scar formation.
- Bone Broth is full of magnesium& glucosamine which are good for bone health.
- Calcium& phosphorous are important for healing and strengthening bones and teeth.
- Gelatin contains collagen which is important for cartilage and bones.
- Amino acids can help strengthen ligaments and tendons.
Cats are very sensitive to common drugs so only feline friendly drugs should be given. Never give cats pain killers intended for humans, dogs and other animals. Acetaminophen damages the liver and is lethal for cats. NSAIDs can damage their kidneys. Never give a cat any medication without consulting a vet.
Post Your Query
Skin and Coat Health in Cats